If you are looking for a volunteer job, then we are looking for you!
The Panhandle Pioneer Settlement is seeking experienced, responsible workampers to work as little as 20 hours a week per couple (10 hours for each spouse for a combined total of 20 hours). The Settlement is a nonprofit organization. We have approximately 16 annual events and one-time events from which we derive our operating revenue. Workloads during our major events might require you to work more than your normal hours per week, but your hours will even out during periods when no major events are planned. You will have at least two full days off every week, depending on the amount of work you choose to complete each day. This will give you time to explore the area. Workamper duties will likely include giving guided tours, operating the general store, assisting with events and building rentals, helping to maintain the grounds and buildings, and working in the main office.
As workampers, you will enjoy a full hook-up (FHU) campsite, a hiking trail, a bicycle trail and beautiful scenery.
The nearby Apalachicola River, which is minutes away, affords state-record fishing for white bass, striped bass, spotted bass and flathead catfish. The nearby Chipola River, also minutes away, affords a great place for canoeing, kayaking and tubing. When you spend between two and six months in Blountstown, you can experience the easy pace of small-town life and have opportunities to explore many different areas of the Florida Panhandle.
A typical day begins at 8:00 AM (Central Time) and may include:
- cashiering, stocking shelves, taking inventory and preparing lists for goods needed, assisting customers with checking out, keeping general store clean, assisting with or giving tours.
- assisting/managing with needs of an event: concession, admission, store, set up, and clean up.
- assisting in office as needed: filing, answering phone, powerpoint, helping with general office needs
- general maintenance duties, including but not limited to: trash pickup, restroom maintenance and or cleaning, various projects as needed
- general building maintenance inside and out
- general yard maintenance duties: mowing grass, water grass and plants, mulch as needed
- assisting with special events: group tour and meals, School groups, large tours, and Rentals
- many more educational activities during the year are offered so you can choose to assist/volunteer
- If you have a special skill we encourage you to use it. We want you to be happy and enjoy your time with us so let us know.
Physical Location: 17869 NW Pioneer Settlement Rd., Blountstown, FL
Mailing Address:17869 NW Pioneer Settlement Rd., Blountstown, FL
All campsites are full hookup 50/30/110 amps, water, and sewer. Blountstown is located in the Central Time Zone. Additional amenities:
- Wi-Fi (wireless) available at the gym’s campsites. Unfortunately, due to the thick woods between the Settlement and the Farmstead, the Wi-Fi there isn’t available.
- Washer/Dryer available on grounds. The washer lid safety switch doesn’t work, so when the lid is open the washer will continue working. The dryer only works on the regular drying cycle; the other cycles don’t work.
- Restrooms (no showers, however there is a restroom with a shower at the Firehouse) available on grounds.
- There are no dumpsters at the Settlement, all trash must be taken to the dumpsters that are located in Sam Atkins Park. When you leave the Settlement and come to the stop sign that leads into the park, take a right and go around the circle. The dumpsters are located next to the blue picnic shelter.
Work Hours: The Settlement is closed on Sundays, Mondays and Wednesdays. However, workampers might be asked to work on Mondays or Wednesdays. As workampers, each person will work 20 hours a week. During events and other times you may go over the 20 hours a week. It is the responsibility of workampers to make sure they have completed their required hours per week. Compensation includes a full hookup site with laundry facility and Wi-Fi, where/when available.
Cell phone services available in the area:
- Verizon, (store in town)
- Straight Talk
- Tallahassee - 55 miles away
- Panama City - 50 miles away
- Marianna - 28 miles away
Typical rules and guidelines:
- We try to conserve energy so please limit your outside lights. We suggest solar lighting at your sight for extra lighting.
- Let the office know in advance what days you are taking off. This can change from week to week due to scheduled events.
- Download a Pioneer Settlement Workampers Application in one of the following formats:
- North Florida Attractions
- We always love to receive feedback from our Workampers! Please write to us and share your feedback: